When Being Included Still Feels Like Being Left Out

Photobucket

The other day, I attended my high school friend's wedding. To be honest, I wasn't really invited at first, lol. But I saw her story on Instagram about getting married, so I messaged her to congratulate her and wish her well. I mean, who doesn't feel happy for a friend, right? While we were talking, she sent over an invitation and asked if I could invite the other girls from our group because she had lost their contact info. I forwarded the invitation to our group chat, but in the end, I was the only one who went.

I went alone, and while I was sitting there eating my food, a familiar face approached me. It was one of my old classmates. She said hello and we started talking. She mentioned she had seen me earlier but wasn't sure it was me until she came closer. Apparently, a few other friends from our class and other classes were there too. They immediately came over to my table to chat. We had a mini-reunion and shared quick updates on what we’ve been up to. It was nice seeing them again since it’s been ages -the last time was probably at a school reunion or a friend's wedding after school, which was like 9 or 10 years ago. I could barely remember how long it had been.

I didn't talk much - it was mostly a quick Q&A session about jobs, kids, and general life updates. But while we were catching up, I couldn't help feeling out of place. It felt like there was a huge wall between us, and their energy felt more like a polite "business approach" than genuine connection. I honestly would have preferred a quick, casual hello. Instead, because I was sitting alone, they treated me like a charity project they needed to take care of. Joining their table only made me feel more left out as they talked about their WhatsApp group and inside jokes - sitting there stiffly listening to them made me feel far lonelier than when I was actually by myself.

But on the brighter side, I could tell there was one person who was genuinely happy to see me, and naturally, I felt much more comfortable talking to her than the others.

Afterward, we left the wedding after taking a group photo with the bride and groom. Honestly, the whole situation after we meet up was just plain awkward. No hard feelings towards them - they were trying to be polite, and I was just chilling on my own. It is what it is, but at least I walked away with one good catch-up and survived the group photo for memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment